Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Think Tank Belt System

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4628 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Sat 28-Apr-12 02:45 AM

Hi all.

I thought I would share some modifications I carried out on my Think Tank belt system.

First I wanted a way to carry my tripod (Gitzo 3541XLS) with ball head (Markins Q20). Since I have the Think Tank Harness as well as the belt this was accomplished by riveting two triangular pieces of leather to sandwich the 'y' shaped part of the strap at the rear. Thus strengthened, I riveted a thicker belt shaped piece of leather across the 'y' area. See the photos.

I have now tested this design on two multi-day landscape trips to Joshua Tree, CA and to Bishop, CA. I am very well pleased with the way the tripod holder has worked out. I completely forget that my tripod is back there when I am hiking around but it is very easy to retrieve and set up. I can squat or kneel with no problem.

Now that I have proved out the design concept, I will do some finish work on the riveting and sew the two thin pieces of leather together.

Since I don't want to post too many pictures in any one post, I will make another post discussing the other modifications.

Click on small pictures to view larger versions.

Click on image to view larger version

Or check out the whole gallery at:

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/21915

As always, any comments, criticism or advice is very welcome.

JIM

G