Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ever upward cost of Ball and tilt heads

Beemer2

UK
2823 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006
Sat 14-Apr-12 04:54 PM

I love well-designed and well-constructed hardware. I did spend £300 ($450) on a set of carbon tripod legs which is (are?) married to an older style "hex" plate ball head.

That said, when I now consider an equivalently high quality and latest design tilt-head for my carbon monopod, I am not happy that my lust for good engineering might cost me £134 ($200)

I'd rather not mention brand names as the target for my inability to justify spending large amounts of money on exotic devices.

As you may have guessed I am an amateur photographer and more significantly, am retired from work.

Coming from an engineering background my guess is that much of the hype around high-end ball, and tilt, heads is to justify very high margins.

One of the reasons that I have posted this is because a certain Italian manufacturer is, in Europe, apparently selling, their old (obsolete) stock of monopod heads using the same part number of their latest product currently being sold, e.g. by B&H, in the USA. I wanted to buy that latest product here in the UK but the manufacturer has told me that their product for sale in Europe is the only one being sold. Sounds to me like they are trying to rid themselves of old stock without loss.

The above was only a practical example of what I see is escalating prices for tripod accessories. My apologies to Nickonian's management as I am aware of the relationship to vendors.

Ian

If only Mozart had had a camera

G