Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tips for transition from BIF to Macro

Replytoken

Seattle, US
1227 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Replytoken Registered since 08th Mar 2008
Tue 10-Apr-12 11:02 PM

While I was fortunate enough this past winter to complete all of my desired equipment upgrades and purchases in hopes of photographing our winter bird migration, serious health issues took me completely out of commission before I was even able to put any of my equipment together for evaluation. As I am still slowly recovering, I am trying to turn my sights to spring flowers which I used to shoot handheld in previous years.

I would like to work off of my tripod this year, but could use some advice as setting up a tripod for BIF seems relatively easy in comparison to doing macro work. My Gitzo GT3541LS is the perfect height for BIF when the legs are fully extended, so it requires almost no thought other than to make sure that everything is fully secure.

I realize that macro flower work is going to require significantly more thought and patience, especially since I am used to shooting handheld in past years. Furthermore, I am still extremely fatigued from my medical treatments, and therefore have a very limited amount of energy which I do not want to consume "fighting with my tripod".

Any suggestions as to how you streamline or minimize your efforts (i.e. tripod adjustments) as you work in a setting with multiple photo opportunities would be greatly appreciated. I just do not have enough time clocked working with the Gitzo with a full load, and with my present fatigue, I would hate to see equipment come tumbling down because of a stupid decision. I will primarily be using my D300 with my 105VR and an L-bracket (and possibly a TC on occasion), but I recently updated my profile so it should have a current list of my equipment if you have any additional suggestions or comments.

Thanks,

--Ken

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tips for transition from BIF to Macro