Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Vibration Reduction Using a Series 3 and 5

jacsr

Texas City, US
928 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jacsr Registered since 09th Apr 2006
Mon 02-Apr-12 03:23 AM | edited Tue 03-Apr-12 12:37 PM by nrothschild

Having recently acquired an AF-S 500/4 I noticed that my 3541LS seemed underpowered for the lens. Doing a quick series of tap tests verified the fact at least for me. When mounted on the 3541LS the lens settled in 4-5 seconds. I decided if I was to achieve what the lens was capable of producing I needed to upgrade the tripod. I took the plunge and bought a 5542LS and to say the least this thing is a beast. It has 41mm upper section (5 1/8” circumference) compared to the 32mm upper section (4” circumference) on the 3541LS. Doing a quick series of tap tests when mounted on the 5542LS the lens settled quickly, about a second or so.

I decided I would see how both tripods performed with different lenses. I mounted the 500/4, Sigma 150-500 at 500mm and a 70-200VRII at 200mm on my D300. The camera/lens was mounted on a Jobu BWG-PRO both in the locked and unlocked position. I tested on my concrete patio and in my yard consisting of thick grass and at the time the yard was fairly soggy due to 5” of rain. There was also a slight wind. I used the stopwatch feature on my iPhone as the timing device.

This is by no means a definitive test, so please do not view it as one. There are too many variables that influenced the outcome. The inability to precisely tap the lens with the same amount of force each time is one example. I have listed the outcome in a spreadsheet as an example of my results. YMMV.

Joe

(mod note: you can pick up Joe's spreadsheet here at my personal ftp site. This zip file contains Joe's Excel 2007 version, as well as an Excel 97 version I prepared for those with older spreadsheet apps)

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/user_files/219220.zip
Attachment#1 (zip file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Vibration Reduction Using a Series 3 and 5

G