Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

200-400: Sidekick of full Gimbal

dhmiller

US
899 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dhmiller Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 19th May 2009
Sat 31-Mar-12 01:07 PM | edited Sat 31-Mar-12 01:25 PM by dhmiller

I just bought a 200-400 on which I will add a TC and plan to do occasional birding (mostly interested in travel and macro photo).

I own a Markins Q10 ballhead and an Induro PHQ-3 panning head (I assume the Markins is the better bet). One person has suggested not to use a Sidekick with the 200-400 for reasons of security and that I would be better off with a full gimbal. So I am looking for opinions on this related in particular to: how safe the Sidekick will be with the 200-400, which I will probably add some form of RSS gear, either the entire safety system or just the plate, but also, and how much of a hassle will it be to setup a full gimbal on my Gitzo 3531 as I don;t intend to leave it on full time. The difference in price between these two is significant and though a full gimbal might be useful down the road, I am curious about the setup and take down of using it for now.

I would also consider other brands of Gimbals if people can recommend them. I think the horizontal mount would be most suitable.

Thanks for any feedback or references to similar threads.
Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 200-400: Sidekick of full Gimbal