Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

RRS tripod conundrum

kd5ezk

Los Alamitos, US
282 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kd5ezk Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 27-Mar-12 03:24 PM

I have a RRS tripod and head on order, and because I'm waiting for the backorders to fill, I've had some time to reflect. I ordered the TVC-24 for its closed length, since I'll be taking it with me to Utah soon and traveling part of the way on a small plane (CRJ), and will be hiking with it while I'm there. However, the extended height is a compromise - the height of the tripod and head only reaches to 52.2", going to about 57" of eyepiece height for my D300s. My viewing (eyeball) height on level ground is around 64". The way I see it, I have three options:

1. Stick with the existing setup, and either bend slightly or use a stool (I have a Walkstool I can take).
  2. Go with a longer model that has more standing height, and break the 22" folded length barrier, potentially compromising my ability to carry it on board the plane. The TVC-24L is my only real option here in the 2-series (23.25" folded, but no height issues during use at more than 66").
  3. Add the optional center post to the TVC-24 (which I could carry uninstalled for the flight and add it before I hike out), potentially at the cost of some stability.

I'm leaning toward the last option, but wondering how much stability I might be giving up. I do plan to use a cable release and mirror lock-up as needed. Opinions?

Wiley
DC Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: RRS tripod conundrum

G