Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone ever modifed a Markins plate? I want to grind away tabs.

PAStime

Kingston, CA
2823 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009
Sat 17-Mar-12 02:06 AM | edited Sat 17-Mar-12 02:19 AM by PAStime

Hello.

I have a Markins PG-80 camera plate which I no longer need. I suspect I can't get much interest if I try selling it or money for it as it fits only the D90 and D80. I see a few that have been put up for sale and haven't moved.

I now have a D7000 and this plate doesn't fit this camera body. But it would if I removed two tabs of metal. This would make it look (and perhaps function) similarly to the PG-34N, the Markins plate intended for the D7000. The tab on the other side of the plate would prevent it from twisting when mounted on the camera body.

I am debating grinding away those two tabs. Anyone ever tried that with a Markins plate? It is made of duralumin, some kind of aluminium alloy. I have a wheel grinder at home, with a coarse and finer stones on it.

Of course I could just give a try... but wondering if anyone's tried this and how it turned out.

Peter

My gallery (a work in progress): http://peterstokes.net/Exhibit

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Anyone ever modifed a Markins plate? I want to gri...

G