Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ball head question

schollmp

Guilford, US
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
schollmp Registered since 20th Feb 2010
Fri 16-Mar-12 10:02 PM

Hi all;

I presently own a Manfrotto 055xb tripod with the 498 ball head and RC4 quick release. I realize that this is not a high-end setup, but it is not totally hopeless. The 055xb is pretty heavy, but I can tolerate that for now. I have a D90 and the largest lens I use is a Tamron 70-300 zoom.
While I can work with the 055xb, I'm pretty frustrated with the 498/rc4 combo. It's big and clunky and I can't keep the camera body from sliding on the plate. I really don't want to spend the money on a more expensive tripod at this time, I am thinking seriously about buying a Markins ball head on the theory that it would solve the worst of my problems and I can always upgrade the tripod later without losing the investment in the ball head.

My question (actually 2 questions) :

1) Does this make any sense or am I trying to apply "lipstick to a pig"?

2) If the answer to question 1 is Yes...it makes sense, which Markins head should I consider and what would be the best plate for the D90?

I'd appreciate any feedback that I can get....Thanks.

Mike

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ball head question

G