Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sirui Ball Head--Are they any good?

MS Photog

Carthage, US
53 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MS Photog Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2011
Thu 12-Jan-12 03:20 PM

Does anyone have experience with this brand of ball heads? I posted a question about Giotto's and got good responses. Here is my situation:

I own a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod. I have been looking for a good quality reliable ball head in the $100-$200 range. I know the Markins is the best but just can't justify the $300-$400 range at this time.

I looked at many Manfrotto heads at camera shops and read all the reviews on B&H and Amazon. I have decided they are not reliable over time.

At a good camera store I recently tried the Giotto's MH1300-657 and liked it a lot. Reviews and comments I have seen support their quality and the ones I looked at seem to work well.

However, back in December I was back in the "good" camera store and the salesman showed me a Sirui KX-40. He is a part-time pro. He had earlier told me he owns 3 Giotto's and loves them. This time he said he would buy the Sirui if he was buying today. (He pronounced it "Sue-Ray")

He mounted the Sirui on a tripod just like mine and mounted a Nikon D7000 (same as my camera). The ball worked much smoother than the Giotto's and it appears to be well made.

I liked the Sirui but wonder about long time reliability.

My plans are to buy a ball head in my current price range and later use it on a smaller tripod for my wife using her Nikon binoculars or a compact camera. Then I will buy the Markins.

Marlin

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sirui Ball Head--Are they any good?
                    Reply message RE: Sirui Ball Head--Reply to Liz
                         Reply message RE: Sirui Ball Head--Love my Surui K40x

G