Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wimberely Sidekick Questions

Replytoken

Seattle, US
1227 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Replytoken Registered since 08th Mar 2008
Thu 08-Dec-11 10:52 PM

While the Sidekick was briefly touched upon in a few recent threads, I thought it best to start a new one so I do not take any of those previous threads further OT. I recently upgraded my ballhead in anticipation of the winter bird migration, and while I am reasonably set to go (with my D300, 70-200 VRII and TC-20e-III), there are several lingering questions floating around in my head, one of which is wondering about the use/need of a Wimberely Sidekick for BIF.

I am aware that this camera/lens combo is used as much handheld as it is on a tripod, so some have thought of the Sidekick as overkill. Others have recommended it because it allows you to pan and tilt wtih greater ease than a ballhead when shooting BIF. There is probably wisdom in both responses, and I eventually need to decide for myself, but I am wondering if I should first get the hang of working with my new ballhead to see how it does or does not work for BIF, or if I should empty my wallet a bit further and incorporate a Sidekick from the start.

As far as the future, I think that my budget is only going to allow me to move up to a 300mm f/4 and TC-14, a combo about the same size as the 70-200 w/TC. Faster or longer glass is probably not in the near future, with the exception of an occasional rental.

Wimberely offers a 60-day trial, which is generous to say the least. And, their phone support was far more friendly and helpful than my recent experience with RRS. So, holding my technique as a constant, any thoughts on the amount of improvement that a Sidekick offers over a ballhead for BIF with either of these lens/TC combos? Wimberely's offer is generous, but I do not want to take advantage of them if I should either wait or take a pass. I am inclined to go for it, but I want to make sure that this is not just a bad case of NAS run amok.

Thanks,

--Ken

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Wimberely Sidekick Questions