Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Are there any other alternative choices other than Gitzo?

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Mon 19-Sep-11 08:38 AM

I've set aside around $800 to get a decent tripod and ballhead. I've read most of the threads and discussions here just to get an idea on what to get. So far, the Swiss-arca Z1 is one of the top recommended ball head along with the Q20 and RRS BH55. These heads are within my budget and I'm willing to pay that much money since I'm tired of my cheapo ballhead that creeps whenever I use it using my D700+MB10+ 70-200mm and flash. I think it's about time for me to get a better support system. I am 5'9" and I don't shoot a lot of outdoor with my tripod since I find it too bulky and heavy (it's a generic CF from tripod and head that I purchased from Cabelas that weighs 5.4 lbs).

A good friend of mine was suggesting a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs since I'm used to the flip levers vice twist lock. However, some of the reviews that were linked here didn't recommend Manfrotto since the top piece broke off on one of his unit.

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/05/tripod-recommendations2011-part.html

I know the Gitzo is the most recommended tripod but is there a second best tripod that can fit my budget? I don't have a lens that is heavier than what I have right now. The Magica looks great but are still out of my budget since I still need to get the camera plate/L bracket, lens plate, etc. Should I just keep on saving in order to get a 3 series Gitzo? Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Glenn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24917880@N02
http://gqtuazonphotography.smugmug.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Are there any other alternative choices other than ...
                                                  Reply message )
                                                  Reply message RE: )
                                                  Reply message RE: BH-55 available

G