Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
lej

US
19 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lej Basic Member
Thu 04-Oct-01 04:11 AM

Hello Nikonians. I am new to this website and fairly new to photography. Therefore, I have many questions.

First of all, I have a Velbon DF 40 tripod, which is made with dual functions -- camera & video mount. I like its lightness very much. However, I notice that when I tilt my N80 with SB 28 mounted and zooming lens of 70-300 mm D to 90 degree for vertical shot, the tripod is not as stable as I like it to be. Should I invest in another tripod for better stability without spending too much money and compromising the light weight? I'm doing this research by taking a survey to see which tripod is mostly recommended by Nikonians for my case.

In addition, since I like to get a holder for the reflector in the near future, is it true that the reflector holder can be mounted on any tripod, including my current Velbon? If not, what tripod should I purchase for the reflector holder? Any brand suggested for reflector, holder, and tripod? On the same topic -- tripod, which one can I buy in order to mount my SB 28 in case I do not want to mount it on top of my Stroboframe 350? If such is the case, the SC 17 is still usable, correct?

Since I like to capture natural sun light as much as possible, one way to do it is to redirect sunlight with a reflector when subject is not well lit, is it true that reflector with gold on one side and silver on the other side would be the best choice to purchase for portrait shot?

For home potrait as pure personal hobby, should I buy a light box? If so, what size and what wattage power? I like to get a strobe light to place between the back of subject and the background canvas in case I like to high light the details of hair or fur on clothing, any recommendation on such equipment?

I have read that many Nikonians using slave flash with SU 4. Should I invest in this in addition to all the equipments I just mentioned for home portrait, i.e. having the slave flash point at subject while being 45 degree way from camera position? Am I overkilling here, or will I eventually need all this for my hobby?

By the way, what's the difference between setting the N80 on automatic vs. using an external light meter? If I use an external light meter, it will tell me the settings. Why not set the N80 on automatic or use the suggested metering system inside N80 and not waste any money? I know that it's a dumb question because many people are still buying light meters and huge amount of money on those too, but I need to ask to find the logic. Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and answer my questions.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New to photography

G