Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I'm sure you are all sick of this question, but I'm asking anyway

ymgingras

US
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ymgingras Registered since 10th Jan 2010
Tue 12-Jan-10 03:21 PM | edited Tue 12-Jan-10 03:38 PM by ymgingras

Hello all. I'm new here. Pretty new to photography too. I have a D90 (but I'm eyeing the D3S) and my heaviest lens is the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. My kids are little so maybe I'll even have a heavier lens if they do sports in the future.

So I need the whole tripod, ballhead set up etc. After much research here, I have decided to go with the Markins M20 ballhead since I really only want to buy one and I want it to support additional weight in the future. But now I'm stuck on a tripod. I'm thinking the Gitzo is best but do I get a Mountaineer or a Systematic? I'm short (5'4'') and relatively petite (yeah, should probably be more so). I'm not really an outdoor person (like I won't be hiking for several hours with this on my back but I would like to drag it around a zoo or two and maybe even some small hikes). I would like to bring it on trips so probably the lighter the better and the more compact the better. No real budget.

So I'm thinking about the GT3541 or the GT3541LS. Any thoughts on which might be better for me? update: oh no, I just read about the RRS TVC-33. That looks really nice too....

Thanks!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I'm sure you are all sick of this question, but I'm...

G