Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
akert

Berschis, CH
544 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
akert Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2002
Wed 10-Dec-03 06:20 PM

Finally I got rid of my old cheap tripod. Well, i still use it as a flash holder but that's it. It was this kind of alu-thing with integrated 3way head that produced strange sounds when I mounted the F100 on it. Even worse, when using the handles the weight of the camera moved the head slightly and I had to adjust again. Good bye cheapy!

I actually intended to ask in this forum but then this happened. At my local photo dealer I ran across a 2nd-hand tripod including ballhead. After mounting my camera on it I simply could not resist anymore. Rock solid stand, smooth movements of the head and tight hold when locked, simply a dream (at least for what I was used to!!!).

Well, what I got is this:
- Manfrotto 190 (no D or C, it simply says Professional Tripod). It is in aluminium finish and has these wing-screws to extract the legs. The round plate allows to mount 1/4" and 3/8" devices. And it's not as heavy as it looks like.
- Linhof ballhead 'Precision Tiltop II' with panorama scale. Now this baby looks old but it runs smooooooooth. And it's much heavier than it looks like
The whole set for USD 150. I have no idea how old this stuff is or if I was bigtime cheated. Any comments are welcome (I can take it )

Now here's the really silly question. Sorry, but I AM clumsy. My 'bad' tripod had this kind of plate that you could quickly remove with a handle and leave it on the camera. This one not. Has anyone a great (and easy) way of mounting the camera?
I tried to simply turn the camera until it was locked but that does not feel right. Currently, I actually remove the whole head screw it into the camera then mount the head on the tripod which is kind of easier.
Though this probably sounds really silly, I thought someone might have a cool technique. All comments are really appreciated! Thanks.

Peter, a Nikonian from the Lake of Zurich
truly analog

Peter

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into"
Ansel Adams

G