Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to secure RRS QR Plate to a Gitzo head?

drjh68

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
151 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003
Sat 19-Dec-09 01:56 PM

I am looking for a suitable Gitzo 3-way pan head on which I would fit an RRS Quick Release clamp to take a D700 with an RRS D700 L-plate.

The question I am not yet clear about is how the QR clamp would be secured to the head. RRS suggest that the most secure way would be to buy their QR clamp B2LR II. This has three screw holes – one in the centre for the standard hand-tightened screw, and one either side (in line with the centre one) for two extra threaded mounting screws.

They envisage removing the standard centre screw, and fixing the QR plate to the head by using screws in the two outer holes. This sounds a very secure way.

However, I am not sure if that will work properly, because if I fix the QR plate like that it will have to be in parallel line with the fixing slot, which runs fore and aft . Normally I believe that the camera sits at right angles to the fore and aft line, and that the handles for adjusting the camera on the head are therefore mostly to the rear of the camera. Fixing the camera as suggested would place it at right angles to the viewing position.

Am I seeing a non-existent problem? The head I am interested in is the Gitzo G2270M Series 2, in which the slot in the top plate is a simple straight one rather than “T” shaped.

Any advice appreciated.

James
Suffolk UK

G