Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need advice on good leg/head combination

zukester

Southbury, US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
zukester Registered since 17th Jul 2008
Sun 27-Sep-09 02:50 AM

Hi:

Looking for all around tough guy for wildlife, portrait, photo-journalism, ground level macro, long exposures, and any other shots that may come along. For tack sharp shots every time (well, at least I won't be able to blame it on the tripod if they are not)

1. Gimbal head?
2. Markins ballhead?
3. RRS ballhead?
4. Gitzo balllhead?
5. Manfrotto ballhead?
6. Gitzo legs?
7. Manfrotto legs?
8. Feisol legs?

Would like ability to get low to ground I am 5'6", so does not have to go high. Would like it to fold up short for hiking, be lightweight, and very steady, very sturdy, able to hold D300 with long lens(TBD, but probably at least the Nikon 70-200 with a TC-14), with the option of a bigger lens in the future.

Should have ease of use/quick top close/open/change positions from low level to back up in decent time. Not like plants bugs run off so fast!

Is there such a beastly combination, or am I asking for the world? Money is not a problem, advice is at this point. Tired of wimpy stuff.

Well, any advice will be help and appreciated.

Bob Z.
"Zukester"

Zukester
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a good picture is worth a thousand dollars."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G