Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Would Like Unbiased Advice on Tripod Selection

rdluu

chicago, US
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rdluu Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2007
Mon 07-Sep-09 06:13 PM

I am thinking about buying a Gitzo 2531 tripod and Really Right Stuff BH-40 Mid-sized ballhead with LR, and BD80L-Plate. I have read a lot of the primers on this here at Nikonians and elsewhere.

I use a D-80 and longest lens is 200mm, but I think my heaviest is 105mm with VR. I imagine some day (not a priority) I will get something zooming to 300mm. I plan to use it as my only tripod and am expecting to use it outside in the city and hiking.

My question (and I have seen discussions here that clearly regard the Gitzo CF6x as a necessity) is whether the premium to upgrade from a "similar" Manfrotto or other manufacturer really worth it? Kirk for instance sells Induro I believe. For that matter is the upgrade from the Gitzo Basalt line to CF6x really worth it. I know people will sometimes say they like whatever they have because they have it and want to justify the purchase to themselves. I know there is no right answer, but if I can put the couple of hundred dollars toward a new lens rather than the upgraded tripod maybe that is a better use of funds. For some reason I think I know the answer.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Would Like Unbiased Advice on Tripod Selection

G