Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ballhead diameter & Gitzo column plate confusion.

alishakarchi

UK
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alishakarchi Registered since 21st Jun 2009
Thu 25-Jun-09 12:42 PM | edited Thu 25-Jun-09 12:59 PM by alishakarchi

Hi

I'm looking at getting a a ball head (such as Arca-Swiss Z1DP, RSS, Markins) and a Gitzo Mountaineer GT2541 or possibly GT3541 tripod. My normal kit comprises a D300 + 70-200 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, so not so hugely heavy, although I also have a Mamiya 645AFD kit. I hike mountains a lot and shoot landscapes in all conditions, this will be my first decent tripod setup, so I want to get it right. Obviously, I want it to be light, but don't want want to regret stability issues after buying it.

Anyway, I'm a little confused about fitting a non-Gitzo head to the Gitzo tripod column plate (Power Disc). It seems that most 3rd party ballhead base diameters' are wider than the Gitzo column plate to the tripods, which I believe is only 60mm.

So my question is, does that mean that the ball head is not going to work on these Gitzo's, or is it ok for ballhead base to 'overhang' the column plate disc? (base diameters areZ1/69mm, M20/68mm, BH-55 73mm). Will the effect stability?

Should I only be considering a Gitzo Systematic range like the GT3541LS, which as the whole tripod base to accommodate the Z1?

Finally, I've seen several posts on column vs no column tripods, and I see attraction to the GT3541LS. I'm only 5,10" so worry it could be too high for me when the head is fitted? Does anyone have this pod that could comment - wondered how hight it is with just three legs extended? Its full hight is 146cm and with 10cm for the head, I fear I would be on my tiptoes to see out of the viewfinder!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Ali

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ballhead diameter & Gitzo column plate confusion.
          Reply message RE: Z1, M20, BH-55, Systematic & Mountaineer
                              Reply message RE: Z1, Panning, M20 & Sweet Spot Creep
                                        Reply message RE: Z1, M20, Photoclam & Sweet Spot Creep
                                   Reply message images of Gitzo GT2541 next to GT3541LS
                                        Reply message RE: images of Gitzo GT2541 next to GT3541LS
               Reply message RE: Gitzo G340 & Arca-Swiss B1 Time Tested

G