Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Markins Ti Spikes field report?

Ruahrc

Ann Arbor, US
1267 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ruahrc Registered since 08th Jul 2007
Fri 15-May-09 07:41 AM

Hello Nikonians,

Anyone have a field report of the Markins Ti spikes for Gitzo tripods? It's looking like I'm making a photo trip this July and maybe it's a good excuse to purchase some more gear . I like the idea of getting some tripod spikes but I do have some concerns about the Markins spikes.

They look awfully short. I was in the park the other day with my tripod and I found myself setting it down on long grass that had been packed down/felled by the winter. It was pretty springy and I had to put pressure on the top of the tripod to get it to sit stable in the ground. I thought that spikes would help here but honestly the thickness of the grass and weeds was a few inches, longer than I think the Markins spikes would handle. I do not see this amount of grass/weeds as uncommonly high and would expect to encounter this kind of ground cover often. Thus, would the Markins spikes be too short?

Does anyone with the spikes confirm or deny this? The gitzo spikes are significantly longer (at least judging by the picture) and IIRC you can even get extra-long spikes as well. I like how the Gitzo spikes are cheaper than the Markins but I do not like the weight. I think the steel spikes of the Gitzo are like 200grams? About half the weight of the ballhead, and IMO not insignificant. The Ti spikes are only 60g which is much lighter but they do seem awful stubby.

Thoughts?

Norman

P.S. the Nikonians leg wraps in the ProPhotoShop: can we buy them without the logos? I think it might be nice to get the wraps as sometimes when I carry my tripod over my shoulder it is a little uncomfortable because I am skinny and have bony shoulders. However despite being a fan of the website, I am not a big fan of the huge "Nikonians.org" logos written up and down the wraps. As the Nikonians wraps seem to be a little cheaper than the plain ones from B&H I was wondering if the ProPhotoshop sold plain ones too.

A suggestion to Nikonians would maybe be to create a "v2" leg wrap design with a more subtle logo. Perhaps instead of orienting the text vertically along the wrap, have it much smaller and wrap around the wrap? I have seen others comment here on the overtness of the logos on the wraps too- leading me to believe some of us would like Nikonians wraps if they were not so blaring.

Some of my pictures

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Markins vs. Gitzo Spikes Weight?
                                                  Reply message DIY Spikes
                                                  Reply message RE: DIY Spikes
                                                  Reply message RE: Extra Long Spikes & DIY Trials
Reply message RE: Markins Ti Spikes field report?

G