Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripod legs for travel

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Fri 08-May-09 05:34 AM

Hi All,

When I travel with checked luggage, my regular tripod is no problem to take, but lately, I've often been traveling with only carry-on, and I'm tired of arguments with gate agents that my tripod is photographic gear and therefore permitted on board. It's attached to the exterior of my roller carry-on. I've been forced to gate check it about a third of the time, and that's scary. I'm afraid that one of these days it's going to succumb to either breakage, or more likely theft.

I need a tripod which can fit inside my carry-on, even on international flights (it meets the carry-on size restrictions of every airline I surveyed on the Internet, both domestic and international), so I'm setting my limit at 20" (50.8cm) folded up. I'll take the head off and stow it separately.

I'm all set with a head, so no discussion of a head needed. I'll use one of my RRS heads.

So you don't have to look it up, the camera will be a D200 with MB-D200 grip for now, and the longest lens at this point is the Nikon AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED.

I have reviewed the previous posts pretty thoroughly, and find no specific discussion concerning the Gitzo GT-0541 Mountaineer 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs, about which I'm considering. It supports 11 lbs., folds to 18.9", max height without center column is 46.5". I'm a bit over 66" tall.

Ideally, I'd like the tripod to support more weight and be a bit taller, but with the travel fold-up length constraint, I don't think that's not going to happen.

What do you all think of the choice, and do you have an alternative which I should be considering?

Thanks for your help.

Ned
-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tripod legs for travel
     Reply message RE: Tripod, travel compact vs, sturdiness
     Reply message RE: Compact Series 3 Systematic
     Reply message RE: G-Lock Leg Section Reducers
                         Reply message RE: GK2580TQR replaced by GT1541?
          Reply message RE: Tripod legs for travel & FL
                                        Reply message RE: GK2580TQR tripod kit
                                                  Reply message Feisol Travel Alternatives
                                                  Reply message RE: Feisol Travel Alternatives
                                                  Reply message RE: Gitzo GK2580TQR Marketing Strategy
Reply message Another possibility
Reply message RE: Another possibility
Reply message RE: Tripod travel new thread?
     Reply message RE: Tripod travel nre thread?
          Reply message RE: Tripod travel new thread?
               Reply message RE: GT3541 Testing
                    Reply message RE: Hands-on Traveler Series 2
                                                  Reply message RE: Hands-on Traveler Series 2 Link
          Reply message RE: GK2580TQR, BH-40, Bazooka & Feisol Tests

G