Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

200-400 mm Lens Support

rbsandor

Denver, US
1751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rbsandor Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007
Fri 30-Jan-09 12:39 AM

I recently purchased the above lens. I have a Markins M10 and a Gitzo 3540LS tripod. My camera, the D300 (no battery pack) has an L bracket. When the camera is tripod mounted, I either rotate the collar on the longer lenses or use the L bracket to change camera orientation with non-collared lenses. My question is three-fold. First, is the M-10 sufficient for the task of supporting the above lens? If not, then is the M-20 the recommended route? And finally, third, is the better route using a Wimberley type product and which one, the sidekick or gimbal?
I plan to use the 200-400 mainly for wildlife with landscapes as a secondary usage. I have learned to use my 70-200 mm lens mounted on the M-10 to track birds (bigger ones) in flight. I would like to continue track birds/critters in this mode if possible. Given all the above, what would be the best approach, in essence, what gives me the most flexibility? The cost would not be an issue. Thanks, Richard

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 200-400 mm Lens Support
Reply message RE: 200-400 mm + Systematic + Sidekick
                         Reply message RE: RRS Lever-Release Clamp & Wimberley AP-553 foot
                                             Reply message RE: Clamp, Loctite & Hair Dryer
                                             Reply message RE: Markins Q3 & Sidekick?
                                             Reply message RE: M20 vs. Loctite Red... and the winner is...
                                             Reply message RE: M20 vs. Loctite Red... and the winner is...
                                             Reply message RE: Removing Loctite Blue
                                             Reply message RE: Removing Loctite Blue
                                             Reply message RE: Loose RRS lever release clamp
                                             Reply message Direct mount vs. Sidekick vs. RRS Lever Clamp
                                             Reply message RE: Direct mount vs. Sidekick vs. RRS Lever Clamp
                                             Reply message RE: Clamp Mount: Red or Blue Loctite

G