Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What monopod/head?

echo rider

Oklahoma City, US
3818 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
echo rider Registered since 13th May 2004
Mon 24-Nov-08 12:23 AM

I currently use a Manfrotto 3247 monopod and a Manfrotto/Bogan grip action ball head.

The monopod has served me well for 5 years, but to extend it is a twist and pull action, then a twist and push to make it short. It is getting hard to work, now. Sometimes I have to work like heck to get it all the way out, and sometimes I twist and twist,trying to break it loose to retract it. I'm afraid to put WD40 on it, afraid it won't hold at all, LOL!

First off, I'm a technically challenged female. When I tried using my husband's ball head with different knobs to adjust up and down, side to side, I never could remember which knob to grab for which action. Since I shoot a lot of birds, I need to change positions quickly. The squeeze grip of my head is just perfect for me. My husband pooh-poohed me when I got it 5 years ago, said it would be worthless, then just "had" to try it out. He went out and bought one the same day.

The only thing, when I have my 80-400 lens on, sometimes it won't maintain position. Not always, just at some angles.
I'd like to get a new monopod, one that is easy to adjust. Ditto a new head, and I'd prefer a squeeze action type like I have, only rated to support my heavy lens and D300.

Any suggestions?

~Betty~
Now, where the heck did I put that filter??
http://www.Betty\'s Gallery

G