Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Portrait orientation on tripod - camera slip

Zevi

Ann Arbor, US
340 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008
Tue 04-Nov-08 08:07 PM

Hello,

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but how do you prevent the camera from twisting under its weight when positioning it in a portrait mode?

My old point-and-shoot (Canon G4) had a smooth hole next to the threaded mount at the bottom. The quick-release plate of the cheapo tripod had in addition to the mounting screw a pin to match that smooth hole, so that once screwed to the bottom of the camera -- you could not twist the camera relative to the quick release or tripod. My D-80 does not have that additional hole.

My Bogen 3126 head only has a single mounting screw. If I attach it to the camera, and then "flip" it so the camera is in a portrait-mode orientation, the lens (70-300 VR) will try to twist the camera down; the only thing that will hold the camera is the amount of tightening torque applied to the mounting screw.

Am I missing something? Is it really only friction and tightening that suppose to hold the camera? Am I not suppose to mount the camera in portrait mode?

Thanks,
Zevi

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Portrait orientation on tripod - camera slip

G