Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
zukester

Southbury, US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
zukester Registered since 17th Jul 2008
Thu 16-Oct-08 09:18 PM

Hi:

I have searched here, found SOME answers but still not enough to make a decision. I figured that, with the knowledge here, an answer might be quicker coming if directly asked.

I am looking for a very low-level tripod for ground shots to macro. I saw one in a local camera store being demonstrated to a customer, but it was awfully flimsy. She had a lightweight, point and shoot digital. The D40X with the 18-55 and all extension tubes is very heavy compared to that.

Does not have to be carbon fiber, just low and steady for extension tube shots. I hike in deep woods and, when the leaves were up still, struggled for a long time to take one simple shot of a teeny, tiny blue mushroom on a log, which eventually came out OK, but there was so much work and a tripod mount which can go low would have made it a snap, allowing me to take many more that day.

Is there one that literally goes right to the ground so I can shoot sideways with the tubes and lenses on?

A ball head adaptor with it would be a nice plus.

Still researching....

Thanks, Ahead of Time.

Zukester

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tripod question