Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Traveling Tripod - Gitzo 2541 or 1541T?

cyneuge

San Jose, US
125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cyneuge Basic Member
Tue 14-Oct-08 07:48 PM

I've been doing a bit of international travel as of late - okay, maybe once or twice a year - and I've been getting by with a cheap Quantaray tripod. However, I recently lost a vital part of the tripod, and I'm looking for a more reliable travel tripod that I can take with me on trips without taking up space in my suitcase.

I currently have a Gitzo 3540LS with an Markins M20 ball head, but the tripod is a little bulky to pack or carry around with me. I usually use my Nikon D3 with the 24-70mm lens. Although at times, I do use my 70-200mm lens. Up until recently, I was going to go with a Gitzo 1541T tripod since it is small and can easily fit in a suitcase without taking up much space. And from the specs, it's capable of handling up to 17+ lbs. From reading other threads, it would be able to handle my larger lens satisfactorily. The only drawback would be that I would also have to purchase the Markins Q3T (not that that would be a bad thing, right?).

But then while browsing through my local camera shop, I saw the 2541, which is a little bigger than the 1541T, so I know it will be more than sturdy enough to hold my equipment, and yet, smaller than my 3540LS, so it will definitely take up less space in my suitcase, and still be small enough to carry around on short trips or hikes.

Now my dilemna is which tripod to buy. The 1541T is definitely the smallest and lightest tripod to travel with and carry around, but the 2541 would definitely hold my camera and the larger lens more sturdily, albeit, a little bigger in size. If I go with the 1541T, I will definitely have to purchase the Markins Q3T ball head. If I buy the Gitzo 2541, will I still need to buy another ball head (I would still buy the Q3T if that were the case) or can I still use my Markins M20?

I am 5'8" and shoot mostly scenic or candid shots with the tripod where timer is used. I know the height of the 1541T is much shorter than the 2541, but it's not a major concern.

Decisions, decisions... Any advise or personal experiences regarding travel tripods would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Euge

"Never judge a book by it's cover - take a look at the photos inside first". - me

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Traveling Tripod - Gitzo 2541 or 1541T?

G