Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Suitable Pro monopod?

linuxizer

Birmingham, US
449 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
linuxizer Basic Member
Sat 28-Jul-01 12:11 PM

My dearly-beloved newspaper (high school) is GOING to be purchasing a nice monopod this coming year...although they do not know it yet . I probably cannot spend more than $100 on the pod+head before the sponsor freaks . Weight is really not an issue: I can boss the photographers around ;-P. Usage is almost exclusively for sports games--soccer, basketball, and baseball.

So, a quick search of B&H reveals:
Benbo pro--$95
Bogen 3016--$40
Bogen 3230 pro--$72 (it seems the major advantage to this is not really load-bearing capacity, but the 3 removable legs)
Slik Pro-pod--$90
Velbon MUP-4 Pro--$85

My leaning is towards the Bogen pro with a decent 3d head. I'm fairly new to tripods, any suggestions on which head to use (the bogen 3025, I believe, is within our price range as a combo with the 3230 pod)?

The only thing I can see needing a head for is vertically-composed shots. Otherwise, we could almost get away without one. I haven't considered max height on any of these, but it shouldn't be a problem at this level of price--I hope , but then again, we have a very tall photographer.

Also, for me, I am considering the $20 Bilora 2107...anyone have any experience with this one? Or would I be better off with the Davis & Sanford Trailblazer for $25?

Thanks,
Ari

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Suitable Pro monopod?
Reply message RE: Suitable Pro monopod? Re: Bogen 3265 Ballhead...
     Reply message Re: Bogen 3265 Ballhead...

G