Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which collar for 300/4 AF-S, Kirk or RRS?

groovon

Oakland, US
271 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
groovon Basic Member
Sat 30-Aug-08 10:45 PM | edited Sun 31-Aug-08 01:41 AM by groovon

I'm a bit stuck on this question. The main points for considering the RRS collar are that a/ it will accept the same foot as my 70-200VR (either the Nikon foot or the RRS S/A-type foot), and b/ having a removable/interchangeable foot, the 300 will be more compact for stowage and (possibly) offer better handholding.

I just don't know whether the RRS, being a cantilevered design, can equal the 2-point Kirk NC-300 for rigidity. On the surface it looks as if the Kirk design might have the advantage there.

So basically that's my question: In practice, is the RRS collar for the 300/4 AF-S (used with the RRS S/A foot) as rigid a design as the Kirk NC-300?

(RRS gives a 30-day trial period, so that's something I could try. I've never laid hands on the Kirk collar though.

Thanks for any answers or feedback.

Oh, and BTW, do you find, when handholding the 300/4 AF-S, the Kirk collar to be a help, or a hindrance? (I find that the stock Nikon collar/foot, when handholding that lens, provides a secure hook for my fingers to grasp. Dunno if the same applies to the Kirk NC-300, though.)

Dave

My Nikonians Gallery:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/29672/cat/500

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which collar for 300/4 AF-S, Kirk or RRS?
                                                  Reply message ve up, andRE: Which collar for 300/4 AF-S, Kirk or RRS?

G