Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

BH-55 setting suggestions?

jsnapp

Stanford / Palo Alto, US
31 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
jsnapp Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Tue 29-Jul-08 04:27 AM

I just received my new BH-55 I had ordered from RRS. I have it on top of a new Gitzo 3540XLS set of legs.

I am in love with the setup, but I the document that came with the BH-55 left me a little unsure of how best to handle setting the drag.

There is the main knob for locking the lens down and a drag setting knob. When I set the drag, how do I want to have the main large knob? All the way released, centered in the range of travel, or does it not even matter?

Also, when I put my D300 + 70-200 on it, the range of angles I can tilt it without the camera moving freely under gravity is fairly limited. Is that a very reasonable expectation on the BH-55? The whole operation of the ballhead remains pretty magical / mystical to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Justin

G