Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Question for Gitzo 2530 owners

Ruahrc

Ann Arbor, US
1267 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ruahrc Registered since 08th Jul 2007
Fri 09-May-08 04:00 AM | edited Fri 09-May-08 04:32 AM by Ruahrc

Imagine my surprise when the camera store called today and told me my GT2531 was ready for pickup. I didn't think they would even start shipping for almost another month- let alone arrive in early May!

Just picked it up and am trying to tell the differences between the 2531 and 2530. So far as I can tell:

-The rubber feet are the same, and do completely unscrew from the tripod. This means that they are replaceable with the metal spikes, etc.

-The mounting plate is the same as the GT2530. I think Gitzo put these metal mounting plates with Safe-lock material on them last year on all their CF tripods.

-If you count the ultra-extended 90-degree bend setting, there are a total of 4 bend angles for the legs. 24 degrees, 60 degrees, 80 degrees, and the 90 degree position. At 90 degrees you must remove the center column or the hook will be in the ground. At 80 degrees you can have the center column in but not fully down or else it too will dig into the ground. I'm not sure if the tripod was designed to have the 90-degree setting, or if it just happens to extend out that way.

-The last (and perhaps most significant) change I can tell is that there are prominent markings on the tripod (also came with a little tag highlighting this feature) indicating that the head casting is made of magnesium. I couldn't tell if the 2530 had a magnesium head casting as well, or if it was aluminum- but I figure that if the 2530 head casting were Mg, it would have been marked just like the 2531 is? Do you curent 2530 owners know if your head casting is magnesium or aluminum? I would suppose that a Mg head casting is slightly lighter than the Al ones, the only real significant difference between the 2530 and 2531. That and the extra angle detent.

I have taken some pics of the 2531 and will upload them and put a link here shortly. I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the tripod- it is super stable and everything operates buttery smooth. Extending/retracting the legs is quite fast and easy with the twist locks- I am glad I got the 3-section instead of the 4-section as it makes it a little quicker to operate with fewer locks to manipulate.

The one concern I had about the 2531 was that it might be a little too long to take with me on my upcoming trip to China. I have not thougt in great detail as to what I will be packing or what suitcase I will be taking, but I did figure out that it will fit inside my current suitcase if it needs to by making a few modifications. One can shorten his/her Gitzo in the following ways:
1) Remove the rubber feet on the bottom- try this first as it gets you nearly an inch shorter?
2) Remove the head mounting plate and center column. Another 1/3 to 1/2 inch there
3) Remove center column and screw down the center column locking nut as far as it goes down. That gains you an extra few mm
4) If worst comes to worst, remove center column locking nut and inner tension lock material. This probaby gets you another few mm- but be careful as you then expose the threads where the center column locking nut is attached, which is greased for smooth operation. Don't want to get grease all over!
5) I suppose te super-emergency way to shrink down the tripod is to disassemble all the components. But that is pretty extreme.

Anways if I remove the rubber feet and the center column/plate, my 2531 fits right into my suitcase. I want to try and take the tripod as a carryon item, however, but if I really need to, I can put it in this suitcase, and it will fit. I took a pic of that too.

Will go download the pics from my camera to the PC now- will post up link in a little bit.

Norman

Edit: Here's the link to some pics I took of the tripod. Sorry if they aren't gallery quality- don't have a speedlight, fancy studio setup, or another tripod with which to stabilize the camera

http://picasaweb.google.com/nakm00/Gitzo2531?authkey=5dysTRlzqEQ

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Question for Gitzo 2530 owners

G