Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Manfrotto ModoPocket - short review

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Sat 05-Apr-08 08:00 PM

Hi!

This is just a very short gadget review... I bought a CoolPix P50 yesterday, and I found an item in my shop that was reviewed recently in a French magazine, either Chasseur d'Image or Réponse Photo: the ModoPocket by Manfrotto.

It's a simple "pod" that uses the tripod socket and can stay folded until you need it, then allows tilt adjustment (nothing sideways). On a table, it allows a bit of clearance for a group picture, or allows the photographer to brace the camera against a wall or lamp post for slower shutterspeeds.

Plus there's an added bonus... Manfrotto was probably not aware of this one when they issued it!

Enough spoken, images now! (All images taken with my old CoolPix 5400, and heavily overaccentuated, please accept my apologies)

1) Here, the camera with the ModoPocket folded, and my hand for scale.

Click on image to view larger version

2) Here, folded again, but from below. Note the second tripod socket for a table top tripod.

3) Now from below, opened. Note the cord that is used to define the maximum width of the beast. The red screw is the one that holds it in place, and it can slide in the slot for better positioning. In Swiss currency, any coin will screw it in place!

4) Now in position.

Up to that point, I have tested it, and I can say it does what it does. It is well made and well-finished, and can easily be forgotten in a pocket.

Let's enter the realm of the less-thought-about uses...

First question: can it hold something bigger in place?

The answer is no (here with F100, MB-15 and 28-70/2.8, so I may be pushing it a bit, I know ) unless you need to shoot only with a very important backward tilt!

Now for the added bonus: when I saw it, I thought it could compare, when closed, with the width of an Arca-Swiss compatible plate. So I checked... I wouldn't use it with anything heavier than a small CoolPix, but it works! Here in the jaws of a Foba Mini-Superball. I really don't think Manfrotto thought of it when they developed it, but if they did, it's a nice trick.

Warning: I don't think a lever-action clamp could do it!

To summarize: it is a nice small-weight solution for a CoolPix-type camera, and maybe for a lightweight (D)SLR with a lightweight lens. I'd recommend it for the first use, but will take no responsability for the latter!

Now all comments and critiques are welcome!

Have a great day, I'm off to my TV couch!

Olivier Rychner

Jetez un oeil à ma galerie if you feel like it!

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)
Attachment#7 (jpg file)

G