Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Zorac

CA
64 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zorac Registered since 27th Oct 2007
Wed 12-Mar-08 01:58 AM

i have a cheap tripod that works fine for normal use, but when i start doing long exposures (1 to 8 seconds) on it at night, im getting alot of motion blur. i was using the mirror lock up and 10second delay on my d80. the blur was happening regardless of lens.

so obviously i need something more stable, i happen to have a vintage wild (leica) survey tripod in my basement from my surveying days that i painstaking restored. the problem is the threads are to large for a normal head. i measured the mounting bolt with a diameter of approximately 9/16ths (including the threads, 1/2" not including the threads). the threads on the bolt are quite course.

the bolt issue seems solvable as the bolt is removable, (ideally i would use it though), so a new bolt that is sufficiently long, and some washers and i should be good to go, provided the bolt thread/pitch/size on the standard head is readily available.

the second issue is the hole on the tripod base plate is quite large with a diameter of 2.5" so any head i get would have to cover this so it didnt fall in the hole.

assuming the i find a head that will work, will the legs be sturdy enough to take the shake out? they are heavy and constructed with wood legs and metal fittings/ends.

anyone ever try this? suggestions? recommendations a good used head for a budget?

thanks!

G