Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Gitzo's special edition Titanium Traveller tripod

yqx

UK
44 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
yqx Registered since 05th Jan 2008
Fri 01-Feb-08 02:07 PM | edited Fri 01-Feb-08 02:58 PM by yqx

This post is really just to natter about it.

I spoke with Gitzo about it. For an item of such a high price - about £1500 and which must be so distinctive amongst their catalogue range, Gizo seemed to be completely at sea about it.

The Gitzo staff member started off by telling me that this tripod was a 5 section leg model without a ball head. Then when I pointed out to him that the pictures showed that it was a 4 section head, he had to go away and then came back and confirmed that he had been wrong and that it was four section. I then told him that if there was no ball head included, that the pictures were very misleading as they all had showed a ball head - although there was never any reference to it or any suggestion of what type of head it was. A few minutes later he cam back and told me that in fact the tripod does include a ballhead and that the head is titanium as well. By this time I had discovered another part of the Gitzo titanium tripod website which very clearly showed a 4 section one AND a 5 section one - each with ballheads. The Gizo man was frankly quite at a loss to explain why this should be but he agreeed that it did suggest that each model might be available in titanium - although their performance chart only carried the specs for one of them.
He then told me that they were really titanium versions of the two standard tripods - but then later on corrected that and told me that they were actually unique designs. He also at one point told me that ballhead was just a titanium G1077m - but then later on told me that it was actually a unique design but modelled on the G1177M.

Towards th end of the conversation I started to explain to him the kind of use I had in mind for the tripod.

He interrupted me with a suprised exclamation, querying that I was actually going to use it?!!!!

I quizzed him and he told me that they were selling quite well but his impression was that most people had no intention of using them. He told me that they were so beautiful and so expensive that how could anyone actually think about using it and that it seemed a waste.

Observation: Gitzo provide a lifetime unlimited warranty with these tripods. This is a very good bet for something which is just going to be hanging up on people's wall.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Gitzo's special edition Titanium Traveller tripod

G