Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ballhead/Tripod on a Budget? Try This!

XUBIOSCHOEFF

Cincinnati, US
482 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
XUBIOSCHOEFF Registered since 09th Nov 2007
Fri 14-Dec-07 12:00 AM

For anyone out there inquiring about ball heads and tripods without destroying a relationship with the bank or a loved one, you might want to read my opinionated and subjective estimate found below.

I have based most of my selections in lenses and bodies on John Shaw's suggestions in his older books. I got an F4, a 24mm, a 105mm micro, and a 300mm f/2.8. So after reading the online info here and other places, I continued my tradition of. I picked up a STUDIOBALL QR from GRAF. I think it was about $75 less than the used Markins, and has a similarly impressive load capacity.

The ball is massive! I got it a few days ago and tested with the F4 and 300 f/2.8 right away (between 10-12 lbs). It has a variable tension control in addition to the locking knob and panoramic lock.
*The setup does not budge when locking/locked down, while remaining smooth and swift after a quarter turn of the locking knob.
*It comes with the ever popular Arca-Swiss QR mounting.
*It is heavier than the others gaining rave reviews: if you are a WEIGHT-O-CHONDRIAC, then do not get it.
*As to this point, I have used it on an old Manfrotto 3021 leg set and had NO issues with instability whatsoever!
*If you are on a REAL budget, which no Nikonian seems to be . . . at the cost of some weight, you can afford to buy another superb Nikkor or pay your rent!

So, in summary:
I got my whole setup with the 3047 Pan and Tilt (great for all the camera and lens combinations I have used), the tripod legs, and the ballhead for <$300. For about $500, I have to carry about 5 lbs more. I am young, and I am cheap- why else would I be using film and manual focus, right? Either way, I am a complete amateur who produces results better than a lot of those I meet- it might be because it takes me so long to set up a shot (I realize half of them aren't that good by the time I reach for the shutter release). . .

Dan Schoeff
(No Longer Newbie) Nikonian with a lust for information
http://DanielSchoeff.smugmug.com/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ballhead/Tripod on a Budget? Try This!

G