Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need to go for a Ball Head!

XUBIOSCHOEFF

Cincinnati, US
482 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
XUBIOSCHOEFF Registered since 09th Nov 2007
Mon 03-Dec-07 02:52 PM

I have been using my cheap Bogen 3021/3047 setup with no problems at all. However, it makes it difficult to work quickly and quietly when I am trying to shoot wildlife. It is important to note that I am using an F4 with a 300 f/2.8 MF as my heaviest setup, which I believe to be about 5kg, 11 lbs. It is notable that this system seems to be wonderfully balanced using the Bogen plates mounted to the tripod ring. I cannot justify the cost of the Markins heads for a couple reasons. First, I got that setup for under $800. Second, I will not be creating income from my photography EVER because it is secondary to my 'real' life.

I know, I know . . . Foolish and naive; but perhaps it has more to deal with my free money running quickly toward the RED, and a tuition bill coming in the next month! If I am better off just struggling with my pan and tilt head, then I can be satisfied with that.

However, if someone out there in a similar situation has positive experiences with some of the less magnanimous ball heads, please inform me. I am not concerned with ARCA-SWISS compatibility, as I have tried both and find no difference in the results. REAL WORLD examples and experiences will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help,

Dan

Dan Schoeff
(No Longer Newbie) Nikonian with a lust for information
http://DanielSchoeff.smugmug.com/

G