Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Alternatives to the Gitzo GT-2530?

rdhobbs

US
30 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rdhobbs Registered since 03rd Jun 2007
Thu 07-Jun-07 02:26 AM

I'm interested in getting a decent quality tripod setup and had somewhat settled on the 2530 for it's weight, size, and performance. However, after adding in the cost of a Markins head (M-10 seems like the consensus pick here) and lens/body plates, I think it's just simply too far outside my budget, i.e. what would be allowed by She-Who-Decides-If-I-Sleep-On-The-Couch.

Does anyone have recommendations on another good tripod? I've been looking at the Bogen / Manfrotto options, but the ones listed in the FAQ are either aluminum (therefore, heavier) or discontinued. I'm not ruling out the aluminum frames, but I would lean toward a reasonably-priced CF option. In addition, I'd be interested in thoughts on whether the M-10 is the best head choice or whether another would be cheaper and/or more appropriate for my setup (D200 and no lens longer than a 300mm for the foreseeable future).

Thanks for any input you may have!

Ryan

---------------------
Live your life like you're running towards something, never like you're running away

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Alternatives to the Gitzo GT-2530?
Reply message Stick with the Markins Ballhead, but consider Induro le

G