Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Macro: Manfrotto 190XPROB + Novoflex CB5

kanzlr

Wien, AT
99 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kanzlr Registered since 06th Sep 2006
Thu 31-May-07 11:20 AM

hi there!

also posted this on dprev, but i think it is better to post it here too:

i recently fell in love with nature macro. got myself a long lens (sigma 150 + 1,4x TC) and a manfrotto 190XPROB tripod as it goes down rather low and as long as you dont extend anything its stable. but the head! this crappy 486RC2...it "jumps" after you have tightened it. so all the nice framing is for the fishes.
so after doing some research i just ordered a Novoflex ClassicBall 5.

the weight i (will) put on it:

ballhead: 900g
lens: 900g
tc: 180g
body (d200): 1000g

so we are under 3kg and the manfrotto is rated for 5kg, altough i know if manfrotto does say that this is the weight that works well, without vibrations, or if this is the max weight thats usable.

but then, i only use it rather low, no extended legs (at most only one section), no extended center column (sometimes sideways, but only a few cm) and legs rather wide spread.

i also considered a Markins M10 and an ArcaSwiss Z1, but i liked what i read and saw about the Novoflex. its also an investment for when i get longer lenses later on.
Q: does anybody use this head for the same purpose?
Q: good decision? i wonder what you think of it.

thanks

the 190 is nice because of its light weight. so if i am out and about in the woods its comfortable.

EDIT: i also have a heavier, sturdier Walimex tripod (basically a Manfrotto 055 copy, but surprisingly well made) and do plan to get something stronger when i use the novoflex with a longer lens (300mm or 400mm)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Macro: Manfrotto 190XPROB + Novoflex CB5

G