Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Trying to understand what I need in a tripod.

ajhibbsuk

Kaohisung
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ajhibbsuk Registered since 28th Apr 2007
Tue 08-May-07 05:41 PM

I need help!
I'm trying to set myself up with a good range of kit and not wanting to make to many mistakes in the process as money is well. Money.

I want to explore all fields of photography as far as taking pictures, I just enjoy that feeling of catching a moment in time, and making it look wonderful in creative ways.

I have a D80 with a 18-200mm VR at the moment, I also have a MB-D80 grip and SB-400; I'm planning on buying a Sigma 30mm F1.4, a 10-20mm wide zoom, and a 70mm F2.8 Macro in that order over the space of this year. (comments and crit welcome)and if I can sell my sole maybe a 200-400mm VR next year or maybe just a bigma to finish my collection.

But to my question I've been browsing this forum for the past week and I have become a little confused with what I need to look for in a tripod and the parts that I can select to make one up?? i.e. L-plate / standard plate / heads .. Ball or 3 way / legs etc. I think I understand each in part but how do I go about buying a good set up with out pushing in to my budget to much but not wanting to buy again in the future. I need this tripod to help me explore where my photography is going. I see something interesting and what to shoot it from night scenes to insects to landscapes and my little girl.

I,ve got one in mind the Manfrotto Neotect 458B with 322RC2 + 3157N ball head and plate as it seems fast and easy to use, which I like the idea off.(comments please). But apart from that I'm lost to where to start can anybody help in giving me straight combo's for around $300 that they think my suit me and a Hong Kong E retailer.

Sorry if this has been covered before...

Aj

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Trying to understand what I need in a tripod.

G