Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Gitzo GM3550 or GM5540

akmartinez1

San Francisco, US
629 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
akmartinez1 Registered since 12th Jan 2005
Tue 17-Apr-07 07:18 PM

I'm in the process of purchasing a monopod and I've narrowed it down to 2 that I would like but would like some feedback.

I'm interested in both the Gitzo GM3550 and the GM5540. I'm leaning toward the 3550.

The price is lower on B&H, they are both CF6x. The 3550 can extend to about 6'5" and the 5540 only to 5'3". I like the extra height if needed even though I might not. I can just not extend the thinnest section or extend it partway to my needed height.

The part that I'm concerned about is the load. The 5540 can hold 55lbs, but I don't think I'll ever come across a rig where I would need to mount that much weight or mount it on one leg when I have a tripod available.

The 3550 can hold about 40. Looking at the biggest Nikkor at 600mm (which I don't even have) it's only a 10lbs lens, I would only think my D200 full mount without lens could get up to maybe another 10lbs at mose with a flash, mbd200, and maybe an L bracket if I even use a BH on the monopod.

So I don't think I'll need the extra weight capacity.

Should I be prepared for another factor in my descision?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G