Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Yet Another Tripod Question

BradV

Quincy, US
149 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
BradV Registered since 07th Dec 2005
Fri 23-Mar-07 01:16 PM

Currently I'm using a Gitzo 1348 CF tripod with a Gitzo leveling base and RRS BH-55 ball head that works well for my D2Xs and a lens up to 70-200mm. It doesn't work well with my 200-400 lens due to the weight involved and stability/damping is the issue.

What I'd like to know is if anyone here has used the Dutch Hill P900 tripod and what they think of it. The leg configuration seems to be more sturdy than the usual single leg set up sen on most tripods and there are only two sections instead of four on the Gitzo. Moose Peterson recently reviewed the new Gitzo 3540L and has gushed over it. The Moose Man consistently uses very heavy long Nikkors and says the 3540L handles the weight quite well and it's now his long lens pod of choice. It has also been suggested that I'd be better off using a Wimberly head for a lens the size and weight of the 200-400.

The Gitzo 3540L has four leg sections as opposed to two on the Dutch Hill that would lead me to believe that the DH would be the more steady as far as damping and movement is concerned. Or am I wrong about this? Also, there is a significant price difference:

Gitzo 3540L - $774.
Dutch Hill P900L - $514.

http://www.dutchhill.com/products/p900.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=475955&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I'm willing to spend the extra $260 dollars if the Gitzo is a better choice but DH has been making superb tripods for the surveying industry and has a great rep. The obvious negative for the DH is that it doesn't contract into a small package like the single leg pods do making it a bit more cumbersome to haul to the mountain tops. But, if old Ansel didn't mind hauling around those huge tripods I guess I shouldn't, either.

If this has been brought up before, I apologize. But I couldn't find anything on the search engine. Thanks much in advance.

Brad

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Yet Another Tripod Question

G