Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripod resources on line

KevinC

US
203 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KevinC Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Aug 2002
Sat 07-Sep-02 06:50 PM

I'm thinking of getting a real tripod soon. I have an old shaky Velbon I got at a garage sale 20 years ago, and my wife has a Vivitar #1301 (Ponder & Best) from about the same era. The Vivitar is nice, but is 3 feet long collapsed, and weighs over six pounds, which makes it not so good for outdoors.

I like to shoot wildlife, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource on the web which compares sizes, weights and features of various "good" tripods. Searching the web back and forth is mind-numbing.

OTOH, I'm willling to take any suggestions for a good portable combination of 'pod and head for my uses. I'm 5'9", and my heaviest combination would be an F4s with Tamron 200-400 f/5.6. That combo weighs about 6-1/4 pounds, so figure seven if I throw a TC on it out of curiousity. I like the look of the Bogen 3265 grip head, but I think my camera/lens would be too heavy to trust it. As always, price is a major consideration, and I'm not opposed to used/discontinued models.

Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G