Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Benro Pod and Ball Head Received

dmenges

Rochester, US
2237 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dmenges Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2004
Sat 16-Sep-06 02:28 AM

Today I received the Benro equipment I ordered on September 7th. I took delivery 8 days after I ordered it; not bad from China! I posted the message below(in part)on that day. I ordered from Link-Delight via Ebay and the total, including shipping was $399.99. I promised I would post a follow up. Here's part I.

The package was extremely well wrapped. All the equipment was in perfect condition. The carbon fiber legs extended and folded smoothly. They handle and look like high quality CF legs. The ball head is truly a classic piece of machinery. Tooled perfectly. Every component worked flawlessly. I attached the head to the legs and was happy to see that I would not have to use the center column as this combination was high enough for me (6'1") without it.

I mounted my D200 with a 24-120 Nikon lens and tested the QR plate as well as the panning action and the pressure and locking mechanism. Compared to my Slik 300DX, this is a giant leap forward. Rock steady at any angle and so easy to adjust to exactly the position I want. The one thing I didn't like was hanging my camera off to the side for a portrait orientation. I went back to my computer and dropped another $125 on a Kirk L-Bracket at the Nikonians Shop. I couldn't help myself - I want this perfect!

I don't own, or have ever had my hands on a Gitzo tripod or a Kirk ballhead, but I can't imagine them being a more professional set of tools than these. However.... In a few weeks, after I have field test my new stuff, I am still offering to meet with someone near the Rochester area so we can make a side-by-side comparison. Any takers???

Part II coming to a Nikonian Forum near you!!!!

-------------------From Previous post------------------
The Tripod is their carbon fiber M-227n6. Benro compares it to the Gitzo 1227 (or 1257). 55.3" height w/o center; 62.4" max; 12.2" min height.; 3legs; 3.7lbs; 17.6lb load

The Ball Head is their KS-2. Benro compares it to a Kirk BH-1. 2.1" diameter ball; 1.7lbs.; 4.7" height; 39.6lb load; comes with a qr-plate and I ordered another one as well

Here's a link to the ball head if you're interested; http://www.benro.cn/Product/2/ks2.html

You will find a link on that page for the pod as well.

Don Menges
Menges Technology Integration

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Benro Pod and Ball Head Received

G