Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
N80

Rock Hill, US
8786 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
N80 Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 18-Aug-02 10:05 PM

I'm looking for an inexpensive ball head, in the 50-60 USD range. Any advice? I'm looking most closely at the Bogen 3413 Proball (Manfrotto 308QR) with quick release. It is $48 at B&H and has gotten good reviews by owners. It only has a single locking lever though, which would make mulit-shot panorama shots impossible. I'm also looking at the Giottos MH-1002 (it has no quick release) and is closer to $70. It has a second knurled dial for panning horizontally.

Any thoughts about these two. As a reference I've never used any ball heads but I played with a Bogen 3055 and hated it. Big, bulky, rough movement, no 'feel' to the lock down levers which required too much force both ways.

Finally, what are thoughts about quick release plates. The one on my Bogen 'beginner tripod' is the same as on this Bogen ball head and it has a tendancy to slip. In other words the friction between it and the camera body sometimes isn't sufficient particularly shooting vertically. I put a piece of rubber on top of the cork and it holds better.

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ball head advice.