Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripod legs to head weight ratio - Question

JPA

San Francisco, US
590 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JPA Registered since 20th Apr 2002
Wed 14-Aug-02 03:35 PM

I am looking for some collective wisdom on something I read on the RRS website about the ratio of the weight of the tripod legs versus the head. They recommend keeping the legs about 2.5 times heavier than the head, to prevent the system from being "top heavy." This certainly makes common sense to me, in principle.

I am considering one of the following combinations:

Gitzo 1224 aluminum (5.5 lbs)
Arca-Swiss B1 (1.7 lbs)
TOTAL 7.2 lbs

Gitzo 1127 carbon fiber tripod legs (2.7 lbs)
Arca-Swiss B1 (1.7 lbs)
TOTAL 4.4 lbs

I realize these aren't really "equivalent" tripods, but the discussion is really about the loss of the 2.5x legs/head weight ratio were I to choose a relatively "portable" carbon fiber solution.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Note I have NO experience with using a full-size tripod. I am willing to spend the money on something that I only have to buy once, but I don't have access to a store to check out ANY of this equipment.

Atkinson pBase Gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tripod legs to head weight ratio - Question

G