Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Camera/Lens Plates

zoommb

Wheeling, US
52 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zoommb Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2006
Tue 25-Jul-06 01:53 AM

OK, so I'm terminally stupid. I just bought a Q3. Got it today. It's gorgeous; smooth as silk.

I also bought a "generic style" (P-45U) camera plate. I figured that it would be suitable for anything from my 3 F bodies through my D2x.

I discovered first that there is no thumb screw to mount the plate on the body, or in this case my 70-200, no... I've got to find an allen wrench of the correct size. This is something new to me. Since I don't shoot all that much from a tripod (mostly hand-held) the idea of permanently affixing something to the body or lens that I don't need every time I shoot seems a bit strange. You Pro's, it seems do this all of the time. All of my other heads use thumb screws to connect the plate to the unit.

OK, here's the problem: when I try to use the ball head to swing the lens left or right (no, not pan, just change) the plate twists relative to the bottom of the lens bracket. Not good.

Am I using it incorrectly, or do I really have to get special plates for the 70-200, the D2x, the F (with F-36) the ELw with AW-1, the 2 F2's with MD-2's, the 500mm, and the SP. That's a lot of $50.00+ plates.

Also, I notice that there several options for the D2x and the 70-200. Which are best? There also seem to be several options for the other bodies as well.

Also, not being a professional, I get very upset when something damages my gear, so what's that extra screw on the P-45U? OK, I'm anal.

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
-Mike

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Camera/Lens Plates