Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
grmedhat1

CA
1569 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
grmedhat1 Registered since 24th Mar 2002
Thu 08-Aug-02 11:43 PM

I was about to order a Manfrotto 055 Pro tripod and the 222 grip head when I came across a thread about the head not suitable in portrait mode. So I have been questioning my choice in gear. I don’t have a local dealer to see the product so it’s like shopping blind and your experiences and insights are welcome. I want a set up that can handle landscape, portrait, and close up work. I wish to stay with the Manfrotto because the outlet I have chosen carries their products at a good price. My gear is the F80/SB80/and any future lens.

My first choice for the tripod was the Manfrotto 055 PRO but I'm now thinking about the 190 PRO (simply because it's lighter).

A few questions:

1. Is there a major difference between these two models other than weight?
2. Are they the same height extended without column?
3. Which would you choose to handle my type of photography? (I am thinking the 190 pro may not be heavy enough with the column in the horizontal position doing close-ups)

My first choice in heads was the Manfrotto 222 grip, but as I said it may not be suitable for portrait mode because of the shift in weight that will occur. I am now thinking about the Manfrotto 308 pro ball head with or without quick realease.

4. Will this head easily support camera/flash/any lens in portrait mode?
5. Is this head a good choice for what I need?
6. Is the quick realease on this model an asset or liability?

Please feel free to answer any or all questions. Other comments and opinions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Garry

Happy Shooting :)
Garry

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Opinions please...
          Reply message RE: Opinions please...architectural plate?

G