Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bogen standard or "Pro" version tripods?

Tony B

Eau Claire, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tony B Registered since 31st Mar 2002
Tue 16-Jul-02 01:33 AM

I was just about to place an order for the Bogen 3001BD tripod legset, when I happened to stroll into a camera store I visit every time I make a trip to the Milwaukee area. I found there the Bogen 3001B "Pro" version for a small amount more money. With the 3413QR head, the setup will only cost me about $6 more for the pro version and head vs. the standard version through B&H.

My queston is this. I realize that the Pro version only seems to add the ability to place the center colum horizontally, and adds about 3-4 ounces in weight. It also adds about 1.5-2 inches in height, wich I acutally kind of like. I am wondering what some of the uses for the horizontal placemnt of the center column would be, and if the Pro versions are any more or less stable or have more problems with breakage as the top dome shaped piece doesnt look all that sturdy to me...

Macro work is one reason I can see for the horizontal column, but in what ways would the horizontal position be much more superior to just tilting your camera downwards? Seems it would be less stable on the horizontal plane, as the center of gravity would be shifted away from the more stable legset.

Any opinions, pro's or con's to the "Pro" version legsets?

Cheers,

Tony B

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Bogen standard or "Pro" version tripods?

G