Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mid-range ballhead for Manfrotto 190?

wongoz

London, UK
29 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wongoz Registered since 05th Jul 2002
Sat 06-Jul-02 07:24 PM

i just bought a new Manfrotto 190 Pro (Bogen 3001 Pro) and now I'm deciding on a head. My biggest setup would be my F100, the old 80-200 f2.8 w/o the tripod collar, and a flash (sb-28 or 80, haven't bought it yet). I shoot mainly people and architecture (when i travel).

I've read just about every thread i can find about ballheads, and I'm still not sure what to get. I'm looking for a decent ballhead with QR and pan, and preferably friction control, since the big lens has no tripod collar.

Most people say the 308RC (3413QR) Basic Proball is a better pick than the 352RC (3262QR) Midi, but probably on par with the 168 (3055) Heavy Duty. The drawbacks of the 168 that I've heard is that it uses hex plates, and the pan isn't marked by degrees. I'm not sure if the 308 can handle the lens or not.

Unfortunately, the next step up is a pretty big jump, up to heads that cost 3-4 times more, like the 468RC (3435QR) Standard Proball which has everything I need, but costs over 220 Euro here. If i'm going to pay that much, should I consider other heads like the Novoflex MagicBall or the Gitzo G1276/1376?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

--
Steve Wong
London Nikonian
GIG ATT!

G