Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tamron Adaptall (manual focus)

Merlin

416 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Merlin Basic Member
Tue 18-Jul-00 12:33 PM

I have two, a 24 / f-2.5 and a 135 / f-2.8, both elderly.

The 24 is a startlingly fine performer with surprisingly forgiving tolerance of flare for pictures with the sun directly in the frame. Sharp except wide open at the very edges, this is a lens that's saved the day for me many, many times in tight rooms or tunnels. 24mm is just about the limit for acceptable architectural photos - naturally there's distortion of vertical lines, but you can still recognize the subject.

Mechanical quality is at least as good as an original lens, in spite of the removable adapter that's been on three different systems since I bought it. I've dropped it a few times, and it has the scars to prove it, but even with a tiny scratch on the bulging front element, it still produces super results.

The 135 Tamron has similar mileage, and has performed faithfully. When it was new, I thought it was brilliant, but the results come a little short of the original Nikkor. However, as with the 24, utterly reliable. If you set f-8, f-8 is what you get, so exposures are reliable.

Both of these old lenses are recommended as a low-budget used buy. If I'm ever able to replace the 24 with a Nikkor, I'll donate both these old lenses to some worthy youngster interested in learning Nikon manual photography...

G