Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tokina 28-70/2.6-2.8 - PRO versus PRO II?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Fri 03-Aug-07 03:30 PM

There have been at least 4 versions of the Tokina 28-70mm 2.8-ish lens. We know that the latest SV version and the first non-pro version are not as good optically as the other two and the 28-80mm. We know that the lenses in general tend to be softish wide-open, and that sample variation may be on th ewide side.

But what about the PRO f/2.6-2.8 version versus the PRO II version? I have the PRO II version, and it's not bad...but it's not as good as a Nikkor prime lens by any stretch of the imagination. I can tell even without rigorous testing; just casual obervation.

Someone recently wrote with regard to the PRO version (not the PRO II):

"If you find an different version on ebay, you know it's not this one because the inferiour versions all have bayonet hoods." Could there be any truth to this statement...which implies (based upon what?) that the PRO version was better than all the rest, including the PRO II?

I have the Tokina brochure, and it states that, while the optical setup was the same in both versions, the following optical upgrades were made between the PRO (which uses a screw-in hood apparently) and PRO II (which definitely has a bayonette hood): "multicoating has been applied to a larger number of lens surfaces improving contrast while reducing reflections and ghosting. HLD (High Refradtion Low DIspersion) glass is also used in this new version."

I would think that the performance should be roughly comparable in both versions, unless Tokina totally screwed up on the mechanics with the PRO II...which is impossible because it has the best mechanics and durability of almost any modern lens. As far as I know, the penultimate II version is considered the ultimate one insofar as optical quality.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Nikon user since 2000

G