Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Will Filter With Scratches Affect Image Quality?

al2

73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
al2 Registered since 29th Jan 2007
Sat 10-Feb-07 11:08 AM

Hi,

Based from the title above, of course the quick answers are either "depends" or yes it will (depending on the severity of the scratch).

But how much scratches/marks are we talking about here before it will actually affect the image quality?

And the decrease of image quality, is it in terms of contrast, sharpness, or something else?

I recently got a used lens and it comes with 72mm Nikon L37c filter.
It has quite a lot of scuffs, not big, thick ones, but minor ones like the one you'll get if you wipe your lens with a "hard" cloth (not using proper lens tissue). Apart from those, it also has this little mark around 1mm.

Do you think those marks will actually affect image quality? I know for lenses, it will take lots of marks and dust before you can actually tell the difference. Does the same thing apply for filter as well?

I honestly can't really tell the difference, but just wanna make sure that it's not me that is not inspecting carefully enough. Thanks!

PS: On a side note, do you think a Nikon 85mm 1.4 AIS need this filter? (for use with digital)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Will Filter With Scratches Affect Image Quality?

G